Some of you may be familiar with a gentleman by the name of Alfred Nobel, who was around in the late 19th century. Some may ask what was he actually famous for? If you said- the ‘Nobel Prize’- you would be wrong!
He was actually the creator of dynamite, as a Swedish chemist and innovator. In 1888, Alfred’s brother died, and the national newspapers erroneously published Alfred’s obituary. It read ‘the merchant of death is dead; Dr. Alfred Nobel, who became rich by finding ways to kill more people faster than ever before, died yesterday’. It was at this pivotal point, that at the age of 62, he decided he wanted to be remembered for something more worthwhile; something more noble. He assigned all his fortune to be used to establish the annual Nobel prizes to award annually for distinction and excellence in different fields…and his legacy lives over a century later.
This shows you can create an extraordinary life, no matter the age or whatever your previous history is.
I think it is therefore important to create a Bucket List of things to do and achieve in your life, so you know you’ve made the best of your short time here on Earth. You can go away with no regrets. I made my own list a couple years ago and have been working through them and hope it helps you too!
I have made a generic list below which includes a mix of my own wishes as well as ones that have been suggested (though not necessarily my own – you’ll have to work out which is which!).
Don’t be modest or play small- you’ve only got 1 life to live so go for it!
The Bucket List
1) Run the London Marathon.
2) Run the New York Marathon
3) Complete an Iron Man.
4) Donate blood.
5) Get a degree from a respected university.
6) Marry an amazing person.
7) Have children.
8) Meet/have dinner with a huge music/actor superstar.
9) Meet the President of the United States.
10) Be invited to 10 Downing Street.
11) Be invited to Buckingham Palace.
12) Meet the Queen
13) Meet the Prime Minister.
14) Work in the Houses of Parliament.
15) Buy my dream car.
16) See Eminem & Dr. Dre live in performance.
17) Stay at the Burj Al Arab hotel, Dubai.
18) Drive all across the coasts of the USA.
19) Climb to the top of Mount Everest.
20) Climb to the top of Mount Kilimanjaro.
21) Go to a Drive-In Cinema.
22) Shower in a waterfall
23) Have Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner in a different world destination in the same day. (London –> NY –> LA)
24) Ride in a hot-air balloon.
25) Drink Absinthe
26) Attend a samurai class in Japan.
27) Stay at the Namale resort, Fiji.
28) Visit Australia and have a BBQ.
29) Visit Punjab and the villages.
30) Go Skydiving.
31) Bungee jump.
32) Visit every continent.
33) Visit the Antarctic.
34) Ride a gondola in Venice.
35) Visit the Pyramids, Egypt.
36) Visit the Grand Canyon, Nevada.
37) See the Taj Mahal, India.
38) Build my dream house.
39) Surf on Bondi Beach.
40) *** ****
41) Scuba Dive in the Great Barrier Reef.
42) Own the Beats By Dre headphones.
43) Meditate in a Buddhist Temple.
44) Complete Tony Robbins Mastery University.
45) Own a successful company.
46) Become a millionaire.
47) Fly First Class.
48) Participate in the La Tomatina festival, Spain.
49) Go fishing.
50) Maintain a healthy and fit diet.
51) Go Zorbing.
52) Watch the Olympics Opening Ceremony live.
53) Live in New York City.
54) Go Parasailing.
55) Learn to play the piano.
56) Go Firewalking.
57) Race a Ferrari or Lamborghini on a race track.
58) Ride on the Orient Express.
59) Travel to the Moon with Virgin Galactic.
60) Become a vegetarian.
61) Stay in Bora Bora.
62) See the Mona Lisa painting, Le Lourve
63) Go to Mardi Gras Carnival, Rio De Janeiro.
64) Songkran Festival, Thailand
65) Glastonbury Festival, UK
66) Take up Gourmet Cooking.
67) Take up Photography.
68) Watch every movie that won an Academy Award for Best Picture. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Picture)
69) Perform in The Bhangra Showdown.
70) Own a helicopter.
71) Charter a private jet.
72) Own an island.
73) Own a ski getaway.
74) Adopt a child.
75) Spend a week at a silent retreat.
76) Bathe in the River Ganges
77) Start a Charitable Foundation.
78) Make a film.
79) Own a distinguished restaurant.
80) Create a website.
81) Write an autobiography.
82) Appear in Time magazine.
83) Throw a surprise party.
84) Speak at TED.
85) Go to the Bada Bing, New Jersey. 86) Try Lobster 87) Appear on a TV game show (The Weakest Link)
88) Eat at a double Michelin star restaurant.
89) See [Manchester United] win at [Old Trafford].
90) Go to the FIFA World Cup.
91) Read at least 20 of the 100 Best Books of All Time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_100_Best_Books_of_All_Time)
92) Ask a girl/boy out and fail/succeed.
93) Run for a political/public office.
94) Become a trustee of a social foundation or organisation.
95) Write and be published in a major publication.
96) Visit the holiest place for my respective religion.
97) Teach/volunteer in a country far away from home.
98) Stand on the equator.
99) Ride an ostrich.
100) Pass away happy.
And the list goes on!… What more would you add??